Davido
A 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf, was allegedly shot dead by suspected hoodlums in Osogbo, Osun State, shortly after a confrontation involving a group of suspected gang members and the security team of Nigerian singer, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido.
The incident occurred on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, at Itaolokan area of Osogbo, according to a press release signed by the Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo.
The police said Yusuf, a resident of the Oke-Ayepe area of Osogbo, was shot by suspected hoodlums after an earlier incident at the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun.
According to the statement, Governor Ademola Adeleke, accompanied by his nephew, Davido, had earlier paid a courtesy visit to the Ataoja at his palace.
The police said that immediately after the visit, one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged”, allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was resisted by members of the singer’s security team.
The ensuing confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who temporarily blocked the entrance to the palace and obstructed the movement of the convoy.
The police said the convoy eventually left the area safely, while the suspected gang members reportedly departed the vicinity shortly afterwards.
However, the statement said the suspects allegedly shot Yusuf at Itaolokan area of Osogbo while on their way from the vicinity of the palace.
Following the incident, the police said a patrol team was immediately mobilised to the scene, where Yusuf was found lying in a pool of blood.
He was subsequently rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, for medical attention but was pronounced dead by doctors on duty.
The police said it had commenced a full-scale investigation into the incident, while efforts had been intensified to identify, apprehend and bring the fleeing suspects to justice.
The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, condemned the incident and assured members of the public that the command would deploy all available resources to apprehend those responsible.
The command also appealed to anyone with useful information that could assist the investigation to approach the nearest police station or contact the command through its official channels.
It urged members of the public to remain calm and refrain from taking the law into their own hands, assuring that further updates would be provided as the investigation progresses.