The Edo State Government has said Afrobeat maestro, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, is free to visit the state, dismissing a report that he had been banned from entering the state.
The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Kassim Afegbua, disclosed this in a statement on Friday.
An online publication had claimed that the state government banned Davido from entering Edo State.
However, Afegbua described the claim as false, saying the government dissociated itself from what he described as such spiteful behaviour.
The commissioner said the purported ban was not issued by the Edo State Government, describing the person behind it as an impostor and a fraud.
He said the government remained committed to making Edo State home to all, regardless of their beliefs, political persuasion, affinity or legal affiliation.
Afegbua added that should Davido intend to perform in Edo State in the future, the government would be willing to collaborate and partner with him.
The commissioner said Governor Monday Okpebholo was well balanced in dealing with people from various demographics and their different leanings.
He described Davido as one of the state’s illustrious sons, noting that his mother hailed from Edo State.
Afegbua said Davido was exemplary and that the state government was pleased to associate with him.
He added that should the singer wish to visit Edo State, the government would be happy to host and celebrate him.
The commissioner said whatever transpired in Osun State following last week’s election was purely political and had nothing personal to do with the singer.
Afegbua described Davido as one of Nigeria’s global ambassadors, saying he had continued to build bridges of understanding across socio-political divides.
He said the state government was pleased with Davido’s conduct, commitment and achievements in the music industry, adding that it looked forward to him being awarded a Grammy title.